INFORMATION- Regular rapid coronavirus tests if you do not have symptoms
You can get regular rapid tests if you do not have symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). Rapid, lateral flow COVID-19 tests are now available to everyone in Camden. All tests are free.
Why you should get tested regularly
About 1 in 3 people with coronavirus do not have symptoms but can still infect others. Getting tested regularly is the only way to know if you have the virus. If people test positive and self-isolate, it helps stop the virus from spreading.
About rapid tests
The test for people without coronavirus symptoms is called a rapid lateral flow test. This usually involves rubbing a long cotton bud (swab) over your tonsils (or where they would have been) and inside your nose. The tests can give you a result in 30 minutes. They use a device similar to a pregnancy test and do not need to be sent to a lab.
You can do a rapid test at home or at a rapid lateral flow test site.
If you test positive, you and anyone you live with will need to self-isolate.
Who can get regular rapid tests
Anyone in England who does not have symptoms can now get regular rapid lateral flow tests to check for coronavirus.
If you have coronavirus symptoms, you need a different test called a PCR test. Get a PCR test if you have coronavirus symptoms on GOV.UK
How to get regular rapid tests in Camden
You can book your regular rapid test in Camden here or call the Council on 020 7974 444
Go to a test site
You can go to a rapid lateral flow test site to get a rapid test.
If you go to a test site:
- you may need an appointment, so check before you go
- a trained helper might be able to help you do the test
- you'll get a text or email with the result when it's ready
Lateral flow test sites in Camden are -
- 33-35 Jamestown Road, NW1 7DB, open 7.30 am - 7.30 pm, Monday to Friday
- Swiss Cottage Library, 88 Avenue Road, NW3 3HA, open 7.30 am - 2.30 pm, Monday to Friday
- The London Irish Centre, enter via Murray Street, NW1 9XB, open 7.30 am -2.30 pm, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday
- JW3, 341-351 Finchley Rd, London (enter via Lymington Rd), NW3 6ET, open Monday to Friday, 7.30 am - 2.30 pm
- The Dome, 170 Weedington Road, NW5 4NU, open 9 am -5 pm, Monday to Friday
- Triton Café at Regent’s Place, 17-19 Triton Street, Regent’s Place NW1 3BF, open 9 am - 5 pm, Monday to Friday
- Crowndale Centre, 218 Eversholt Street, NW1 1BD, open 9 am – 5 pm, Monday to Friday
- The Allen Hall at Dobson Court, Bourne Estate, Portpool Lane, EC1N 7AA, open 9 am - 5 pm, Monday to Friday
Get a test to do at home
You can get rapid tests to do at home. You can collect up to 2 packs of 7 tests from a local pharmacy or test site:
Home test kits are also available for pick-up in Camden from:
- 33-35 Jamestown Road, NW1 7DB, open Monday to Friday, 7.30 am-7.30 pm
- Swiss Cottage Library, 88 Avenue Road, NW3 3HA, open Monday to Friday, 7.30 am-2.30 pm
- Ramsay Hall, 20 Maple Street, W1T 5HB, open 7 days, 2.30 pm – 8 pm for lateral flow tests
- Kingsgate Community Centre, 107 Kingsgate Rd, Camden, NW62JH, open 7 days 2.30 pm – 8 pm for lateral flow tests
Please bring your ID with your name to your appointment.
You can get a pack of 7 tests sent to your home. Order rapid lateral flow home test kits on GOV.UK
If you do tests at home, you'll need to report your results online or on the phone.
Please visit the Camden Council website to learn more.
School, college and nursery testing
If you attend or work at a school, college or nursery you can get rapid tests through your school, college or nursery.
If you're in a childcare or support bubble with someone who attends or works at a school, college or nursery, you can get a rapid test at a rapid lateral flow test site or order tests to do at home.
You're advised to do a test twice a week.
Primary school-age children and younger do not need to test.
Employee and university testing
Some employers and universities offer rapid tests. Ask your employer or university if they provide rapid tests.
When you receive your results
If you test negative, this means you do not currently have coronavirus. Please continue to follow the national guidance and public health advice to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
If you test positive, you must self-isolate and book a follow-up PCR test within 48 hours to confirm the result. This is to help prevent passing the virus on to others.
To book a PCR test visit: gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test or call 119