New Opportunity: Patient/ Public Representative for North Central London Steering Group
Two patient/ public representatives are needed to join an important new steering group supported by the North and East London Cancer Alliance. Working alongside members including GPs, commissioners and public health teams, you’ll help us to drive improvements in cancer prevention, population awareness and screening attendance across north London over the next 3 years.
By joining the group, you’ll ensure that the needs of community members direct the delivery of several Cancer Transformation funded projects, all of which are aiming to improve cancer prevention and screening uptake over the next 12 months. We want to find out what works when it comes to supporting people to stop smoking, for example, and increasing the number of women attending cervical and breast screening appointments.
In the longer term, we will work together to develop and deliver a 3-year plan which identifies and addresses gaps in prevention, awareness and screening initiatives, with a special focus on reducing variation in services/increasing support across north London.
Who is this opportunity for?
- This opportunity would be particularly suited to people with an interest in public health, health promotion, and/or inequalities in cancer screening.
- You do not need to have personal experience of using cancer services to apply – much of our work is focussing on cancer prevention and population awareness, so we are keen to involve people who have not had a diagnosis of cancer.
- You do not need to have taken part in this kind of opportunity before – you will have a key point of contact within the group who can give you a full briefing before the first meeting and any information you need between meetings. Our patient involvement team will also be available to give you support as needed.
- Meetings will take place bi-monthly, for a duration of 1.5 hours. They will take place between 9-5pm in an accessible venue (the venue is awaiting final confirmation, but it will most likely be in either Islington Council offices or Islington Town Hall).
- Ideally we are looking for someone who would be able to commit to joining 80% of meetings for at least 1 year (this could be in person or via phone)
- All your travel expenses will be reimbursed, in line with the UCLH Travel Expenses policy.
If you think you’re interested or you have any questions at this stage, please send Zoe an email on email@example.com before Mon 5th August 2019. We’ll reply with some more information about the steering group, along with a brief Expression of Interest form for you to complete.